Thursday, July 3, 2008

To Each His Own

Guess what? To save on gas money, we bought a motorcycle! Don't we look cool? Okay, not really. A motorcycle is last on our list of things to purchase. Actually, it hasn't even made the list.

I have heard so many people say they are going to buy a motorcycle to save gas money lately, and I think they're mostly confused. Gas is really expensive right now; but not so expensive a motorcycle would pay for itself anytime soon! Some motorcycles cost as much as cars! And I'm sure cheap, used bikes would end up having to have some cash put into repair work. There's the hospital bills to consider as well. Doctors probably charge quite a bit to scrape brains off the pavement and stuff them back into shattered skulls. I know--not everyone wrecks their motorcycle and most people do wear helmets, but it seems like more often than not, the wrecks with a fatality mentioned in the local paper had a motorcycle involved.

I don't get motorcycles. I don't understand the thrill of speeding down the highway with only a fiberglass helmet in between my brain and the pavement. I don't get the little speakers some people have so they can hear the people their traveling with--if they were in a car, they could communicate without special equipment! I don't get why men almost always drive. I also don't understand why someone would want to subject themselves to driving in rain, heat, cold, etc. when they could be protected! Oh, and I don't understand the secret motorcycle wave.

What I really don't get is why people travel across country on motorcycles! Once, while my family was camping in Colorado, a group of motorcyclists stayed in the K.O.A. campsite next to ours. They didn't have any supplies besides a tent because they didn't have any room for them. I was in the shower house at the same time as the woman bikers were, and they didn't have any towels, soap, or a change of clothes! They borrowed my shampoo, dried off with PAPER towels, and wore the same clothes! It appeared they had been wearing those clothes for awhile. Ick! Riding across country hanging onto the back of some leather-clad hunk looks kind of adventurous at first, but when the messed up hair, rainstorms, bugs-in-teeth, heat, cold, lack of luggage space, etc. are considered, it seems kind of crazy!

As you can tell, I won't be purchasing a motorcycle until my midlife crisis. I do however, respect the opinions of others and am totally fine with you having a motorcycle if you want one. To each his own, after all.

No comments: