Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hand Print Chicken

A Chicken Book and a Chicken Craft--Bawk, Bawk.

I LOVE books that make my boy laugh out loud. We recently discovered a book at the library called Big Chickens Fly the Coop by Leslie Helakoski, a sequel to a book we already have and love, Big Chickens. Every time we read these goofy stories, Colter cracks up. I LOVE IT! Due to the apparent monsoon season we appear to be imprisoned in, we've been looking for a lot of inside activities, and we decided to make this chicken to go with the books we've been reading A LOT lately--like 11 times everyday. We're bookworms at our house. Squirmy ones.
It's cute how this paper plate chicken uses Colter's hand prints to make the wings and the chickens comb, or hat, according to my two-year-old. It's also cute how my boy decided that his chicken should have orange wings instead of white ones. He's creative like that.

For this project, all you need is some scissors, glue, construction paper, a paper plate, googly eyes (or draw your own), and a some cute kid hands to trace! Colter and I just free-handed our chicken feet and stuff, but there are some templates and better directions if you need them at this site.

On an unrelated note, the pictures I posted yesterday were taken on a trip to Arches National Park in Utah last spring. Kel is a genius and guessed it right! Or she's been there. :) Everyone should visit Arches at least once; it's a surreal place. We went at the end of March, and it was a little chilly but still a great time to visit. Go in spring or fall, so you can enjoy the awesome wonders without suffocating!

4 comments:

Ginny Marie said...

What a cute chicken! There's a lot of different books we could use this craft with!

Arches Natl. Park looks gorgeous! I'll have to keep that in mind when we plan a vacation out West.

Amydeanne said...

oh that is stinkin cute! i'll have remember that for thanksgiving! lol

Peggy said...

Jenelle, How cute! I just got done looking at my daughter's blog-See What We Did Today-, as she does different crafts with her kids. You might enjoy looking at it!--I am sending yours to her:)

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog