Monday, May 10, 2010

Poky Little Puppy Coloring Page Puzzle


We checked out The Poky Little Puppy from the library last week, and so far, John or I have read the story to Colter 36.5 times. Admittedly, I totally just made up that number, but my point is, he adores the poky puppy and the puppy's adventures. Because books are the bomb and some of our most favorite things, we like to incorporate the stories we read into our daily activities. Colter loves it when we read a book and then have some sort of story-related project.

After we read The Poky Little Puppy this morning, I found a coloring page on the Little Golden Books webpage and printed off three copies: one for Colter, one for me (sort of), and one for a coloring page puzzle. We started off our project by coloring together at the coffee table. In our pjs. At 11:00 in the morning. It made us happy.

Some people whine about how coloring pages stifle creativity, but I think that's nonsense as long as kids are exposed to blank pages sometimes, too. This looks like a pretty creative and colorful puppy to me even if it is on a coloring page.
While Colter was working on his puppy page, I colored part of one and then cut out some of the pieces. Ten seemed like a good number.
I then armed Colter with a glue stick and had him match the pieces to the third coloring sheet that we hadn't used yet. He matched up the pieces and glued them on.

He goes a little crazy with the glue sometimes. Ta da! A coloring page puzzle!

This site has a lot of cool poky little puppy ideas. We plan on making some strawberry shortcake tonight like the puppies have at the end of the story. YUM.

6 comments:

Ginny Marie said...

What a cute idea! My youngest loves the Poky Little Puppy AND gluing! I'm going to go print that coloring page before she wakes up from her nap!

Amy T. said...

I don't know that book. Looks cute. Love the glue stick shot.

Peggy said...

Thank you for commenting on my "Lost Granddaughter":) and following me. I will follow you back.
My daughter has a blog that reminds me of your Pokey Puppy one-called "See What We Did Today." It is fun to see the projects the Mom's are doing!

MBC Scrapbooking said...

What a cute craft! My in-laws have that book and my daughter loves it:) Strawberry shortcake does sound good (both the dolls and the dessert...lol).

Kyrstin said...

The Poky Little Puppy is awesome - we love that book! Great activity - very creative!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Thanks for joining Follow Back Tuesday! I'm your newest follower!

Your son is precious! And Poky Little Puppy was one of my faves as a kid too!

XO
http://boobiesbabiesblog.blogspot.com