Monday, June 14, 2010

River Rats

Crawdads and crayfish and mudbugs, oh my! Yay for playing in the river!
Confession: I grew up in the country and spent a lot of time playing in creeks, but I have never touched a crawdad. Never ever! Really! Their claws are too scary, and I'm too much of a chicken. I remember my friends grabbing crawdads by the middle and holding them triumphantly up in the air while the crawdad's pinchers desperately tried to snap a finger in two, but I never could bring myself to grab one. Today I decided it was time to conquer my fears. I'm a big girl, right? After all, I'm a thirty-year-old woman. I'm totally capable of facing off with an icky little mudbug and winning. Whatever! Woman vs. Crawdad=Crawdad Victorious! With Colter and friends looking on, I squealed like a little girl when I tried to catch crayfish while playing in the river today. I am not cut out to be a brave crawdad catcher. I'm too wimpy! We used nets and pails instead and caught several crawdads today, I think. It's highly possible we were catching the same one over and over. Whatever the case, it was fun! Playing in a river is a great way to spend a hot, almost-summer day.
Our Victim
Have you ever noticed that if there is a rock or fallen log anywhere in the area, little boys must climb it? It's inevitable.
Crawdaddy-catching fascinated these boys. They were almost as thrilled as their mommies.

No comments: